Friday, February 11, 2011

"Take a Word" Blackbird


What fun I've had cuttin' and pastin' and scribbling with pastel sticks. I was raised in the 60's so The Beatles were a big part of my life, dahhhhhhhhhhh the "Blackbird" theme really sang to me. The research lead me to the real meaning of the song... Paul McCartney wrote this about the civil rights struggle for blacks after reading about race riots in the US. He penned it in his kitchen in Scotland not long after Little Rock, when the federal courts forced the racial desegregation of the Arkansas capital's school system. McCartney told Mojo magazine October 2008: "We were totally immersed in the whole saga which was unfolding. So I got the idea of using a blackbird as a symbol for a black person. It wasn't necessarily a black 'bird', but it works that way, as much as then you called girls 'birds'; the Everlys had had Bird Dog, so the word 'bird' was around. 'Take these broken wings' was very much in my mind, but it wasn't exactly an ornithological ditty; it was purposely symbolic."


http://takeaword.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Faye said...

Beautiful and symbolic. Love how you've manage to unite the two. BTW I'm taking the scripture snippet, if I can make it work. I'm not an expert in things HMTL.

Ozstuff said...

Well, Faye managed to find you somehow and now I am here to say that I love your collage which is so original, colorful and beautifully designed. Great work!

Sunday Postcard Challenge "Sewing"

SUNDAY POSTCARD ART   has offered up another fun challenge, Sewing/Dress form . 4x6 postcard, vintage pattern background, vintage photos, an...